It is late here – approaching midnight & obviously I am still awake. I had to go over to FOB Lagman for a meeting this afternoon & we got back to Apache pretty late tonight. I had a few things to catch up on before I could be done for the night. I really should get to bed, but I’m feeling a little extra lonely right now, so I thought I would do a shout out to my family & write a little…
The best thing about FOB Lagman is that is where our mail goes, so when we go there we also pick up mail. WooHoo – I had mail! I really like getting mail, although I am horrible about sending mail. My beautiful wife, Kate, does an awesome job of making sure I have a steady supply of stuff. Sometimes I actually feel guilty that she spends so much of her time doing that for me.
I am very blessed with her. Her & the two little kids usually send me lots of artwork they make, amazing cookies that Kennadi helps make, Mountain Dew (I’m addicted & the Mountain Dew we have here comes from the UAE & it sucks), M&M’s & Pringles. Definitely my favorite Afghanistan food! OK, it isn’t really Afghanistan food, but it is my favorite food I eat in Afghanistan.
The only real drawback in getting the goodies boxes & letters from home, is it reminds me of all the things I miss. The list isn’t really that long but it is little things and big things. Here are some random things, in no particular order:
- Touch – it is probably the one thing I definitely miss the most, being touched by and touching my family: Kate, the kids, my mom & dad, my dogs…it’s hard to go so long without being able to hold hands, get or give a hug or a kiss…it actually really sucks a lot
- Pizza – I am really needing a Duane’s Pizza fix! I want it to be one of the first things I eat when I get back to Moorhead in May!
- Freedom – the ability to go for walk or jump on the motorcycle or in the car & just go.
- Shopping! I know, I know that sounds dumb coming from a guy, but I love going to Best Buy, Home Depot, Sam’s Club, etc. I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, even at home, but nothing beats wandering around the aisles trying to rationalize to myself why I absolutely need the latest gadget.
- My bed
- My bathroom
- Civilian clothes – I would love to be able to wear a pair of jeans!
- My ‘stuff’ – my tools I hardly use (but they are mine), my motorcycle and all my other gadgets
- My Sunday morning visits to my Mom & Dad
- Just hanging out at home, with Kate & the kids, not doing anything…
Of course there are a lot of other things I miss, but nothing compares to how much I miss Kate & the kids and the ability to touch them. I can Skype regularly and I am very grateful for that, but nothing can ever replace the ability to touch them…
Do me a favor, when you see Kate, Justin, Steph, Zach, Kaylin, Kennadi, Sam or my mom, remind them that I miss them all like crazy, but love them more…thanks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.